"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

Monday, October 1, 2012

Heat Wave

I would say that we are having an unseasonable heat wave, but Monterey County is known for its "indian summers." True to form, the valley is only in the high 70's today and is cooling off, so it is not sucking cold air from off the ocean to cool it down. Consequently, it is "unusually" warm on the coasts. Meaning, it was in the 80's and 90's today. My little garden thermometer read over 90 degrees at 8:45 this morning, but I think it must be off - even for this time of year.

I woke up feeling like I am coming down with a cold this morning, but was going to go hiking anyway. I took one step outside, and changed my mind. There wasn't much wind so it was especially uncomfortable. It is so hot, the hawks and eagles are taking a break from flying. The wild turkeys were not out either. As they say, only mad dogs and englishmen ride at noon - I am neither so I'm taking a siesta.

We're supposed to be having this heat wave until Wednesday, which is a bummer because I can't wait to get out and take a hike. But not until it cools way off. Ugggghhhh!

Maybe it would be a good week for a night hike? I'll let you know if I go on one.

No comments:

Post a Comment