"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

Monday, October 29, 2012

Through Hiking Ft Ord

For months I've been dreaming of through hiking across the Ft Ord National Monument, and today I finally did it!

My dog and I headed out at 8:00 across Parker Flats Rd, which was beautiful just an hour after dawn. Gossamer spider webs collected dew which glimmered in the morning sun. The hills were alive with the sound of rustling deer, calling quail, and soaring hawks.

Then we turned down Eucalyptus Rd, and followed that through several cattle gates until it became Jacks Rd out past Barlow Canyon. We finally came across a pool out in Ft Ord, that looked pretty mucky since it was mostly dried up. There were still a few mallards and other species of fowl, but we didn't spot any egrets or herons.

Then, came our first major hill. It wasn't too bad, but we stopped half way up so Maggie could finally get some ice water, and I could have a cool drink. It was about 11:30, and we had already covered about five miles in 3.5 hrs. There were plenty of game trails that ran from the tops of the mountains down to the pool, since I think this is their only reliable water source.

After about ten minutes, we decided to press onward up the hill, until finally we came to the top near Pilaricitos Ridge was off to the  northwest, and Lookout Ridge was off to southeast. From there, we could see Mt Toro, ahead of us, and the ocean behind us, and a small canyon in front of us until we had to climb our next hill. At this point, I felt truly on top of the world and wasn't tired at all.

We took off down the hill, and towards the bottom I discovered a public restroom, which I didn't try to use but I was glad to know it was there. One could also see the evidence of vernal pools that had long since dried up. There were tall reeds, desiccated ferns, and tons and tons of poison oak!

While staring up my next hill, my legs still felt great and I had plenty of water - but that wouldn't last long. In this short span from the pool on Jacks Rd and Crescent Bluff to the top of Three Sisters, one gains and loses 500 ft in elevation twice in only a mile and a half. This last hill was especially steep, but I still felt up to the task. Half way up, I could feel my heart beating through my chest, my head spinning, and my stomach was in major pain. I could only walk 16-30 steps at a time, then I would have to stop and turn around to rest my calves, wait about ten seconds and then press on again. By the way, it was already noon at this point and the hottest part of the day.

Finally, I reached the top, and as I came around the hill the view opened up and I could see SALINAS! I have never been so happy to see the entire Salinas Valley in my life! For, at this point, I knew my end was in sight. Suddenly, my legs got a second wind and my puppy and I walked down 500 ft until Jacks Rd turned into Oil Well Rd. It was still fairly hot, and there wasn't much of a breeze but I knew soon I would be meeting up with my ride.

As I was going along Oil Well Rd, I saw the marker for Station One Rd, but didn't stop because it went back up hill and the last thing I wanted to do was go back up a hill! To my dismay, according to the map it was the only way to get back to Creekside Terrace, where my ride was waiting for me. Ughhh!

But, up we went. It was more mentally challenging than physically challenging, because I was just ready to be done hiking. It actually doesn't go up very much, especially in comparison to climbing Jacks Rd across Ft Ord, but my ankles were tired, I was hot, and I was about out of water. The trail went behind the fire station, and followed along the creek bed and had very very thick brush that a mountain lion, bob cat, or coyote could easily hide in. So, I started singing silly songs and talking to my dog more. I kept seeing more and more of Hwy 68, but I just couldn't see the Creekside Terrace Entrance. But, it was only another mile and there we were, at our finish line!

----------------------------

Other highlights of our hike

1) Meeting Viva, a Queensland Mix, and talking to her owner that was a bobcat biologist.

2) Realizing I forgot my trail map at home, which sucked. I eventually found a plastic bag in the sensitive habitat area, which I picked up and then started collecting other trash such as numerous plastic bottles, cliff energy shot wrappers, Styrofoam cups, etc until one piece of trash was actually a map! It was if God blessed me for helping take care of His creation.

3) Having a whiteish hawk fly right past me

4) Having nice ice cold water waiting for me at my ride.

Go out, and get hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment